Remember my Corduroy Jacket Post from yesterday? Well, as I was figuring out how to share about it, I decided to split the project into three days, so it wasn't such a long post. Today, I am going to show you how I made the pockets.
I cut out the pants pockets and drew a line where I wanted to cut them off. I also stitched down the far side to make the pocket smaller.
Then I cut strips 1" thick to make a nice border for the pockets. It was a little tricky finding scraps that were all on the same grain, because I was literally working with scraps here. You will see what I mean when I post the remnants of the pants tomorrow.
I ironed down each side 1/4" to finish the edges.
After cutting slits in the fabric where I wanted the pockets, I machine-stitched the pocket in as best I could, and then hand-stitched the pocket liner on the side closest to the pocket so I didn't sew the pocket shut.
Then, I pinned the pocket out of the way and machine-stitched the other side.
After completing the top and bottom liner, I sewed a smaller piece to the sides. I repeated a similar process to finish the edges. I was able to machine-stitch this whole piece on. I made sure to pin the pocket out of the way.
And here is the finished pocket! Update: Check out the post about the finished jacket here.