Friday, November 4, 2011

Fill a Shape with a Photo in Photoshop Elements {Tutorial}

I decided to do something a little different today.  I love editing photos and figuring out new tricks in Photoshop Elements.  I have the Elements 6 version which is from 2007 (I think).  Newer versions can do the same, but have more features.

I want to share some fun things with you!  Plus, this will be a great way to document them to help me remember, just in case I forget!

Today, I will show you how to fill a shape with a picture.

I figured out how to do this a couple of weeks ago while creating a blog header for a friend.  By, the way, you should visit her new blog.  She crochets a lot and makes up all her patterns...she is amazing!  Her blog is Kotton Kreatures.

Anyway, I looked around on the internet for a tutorial and found one, but I hadn't planned on blogging about it, so I didn't save the location.  Sorry.  But, there a tons of tutorials out there...

Okie dokie....
 First, you'll open a blank file.
 Choose the size you'll want.  I didn't realize the pictures wouldn't be super clear, so I am sorry.  I will figure out something better for the next tut!  I chose a 4X6 and selected 300 pixels/in. for resolution.  I was told this is a good number for a nice picture.
 Select the shape you would like to fill.  I chose one of the crop shapes.
 Draw the shape to the size you want and fill it with black.
 Next, make sure your shape is selected, go to File, and select Place.  A window will pop up and you'll choose the photo you want to use to fill the shape with.
 The picture will be placed over the shape.  Move it to where you want it (or wait and you can move it later!)  You can resize it now or later.
 Next, press CTRL + G ("group with previous" in Layer Menu).  Your photo will be cropped into the shape.
 And that's it!  Super easy, huh?!  I also filled the background and added a drop shadow to the shape (you must select the shape - it won't work if you select the picture).  I also added some text.  To bring the text to the top, you will need to right click and select "bring to front."  Otherwise, it merges with the photo.
My sister is getting married soon and I am making her announcements.  I am so excited to use this!  If you have any questions, or requests for another tutorial, please let me know!

 This same process may be used to fill a word with a picture, just make sure to have the word selected when you select "Place."

I am linking up here and here.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Darling picture - great tutorial!

Unknown said...

Great tutorial! Thanks!

Aimee @ ItsOverflowing.com

Ladybird Ln said...

Great tutorial... I do this all the time, in a completely different way, this way looks a bit easier, I will have to try it next time. Photoshop is amazing there are so many different ways to do the same thing!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis