Monday, June 20, 2011

Felt Playhouse

I have to say, the first time I started looking at blogs was about 8 months ago.  I had no clue how big blogland was!  A friend mentioned on Facebook that she was making a felt playhouse for her daughter for Christmas.  I had no clue what that was, so I googled it, and I found myself browsing my first craft blog, Homemade By Jill.  I absolutely loved it!  I loved the playhouse so much, I decided to make one for my son.

Here is the front view:


For the mail, I embellished the top piece with a stamp and the "address" and then sewed together the three layers, as well as the back envelope flap on.  (Sorry, I forgot to get a picture of the flap, but I'm sure you can picture it.)  To hold up the front door, I made a long strip of felt that could reach around from the inside and hold the door in place:


I used velcro to hold the strip in place and sewed a little flap out of blue to cover up the velcro, since the white velcro really sticks out.  Then, using blue again, I sewed a piece on the inside, right behind the top brick, creating a pocket that the strip could fit into.
Here is the garden side:


I had so much fun coming up with vegetables and fruit to make.  I created the watermelon so it can be opened to see the fruit inside.  I also added round beads to the peas to make them feel real.  I came up with the idea for the wheelbarrow that could hold the "picked" food.
Here is the fruit tree and flower garden:


The fruit is removable with velcro.  (I failed to mention that most things are attached with velcro -everything besides the things in pockets).  I sewed pipe cleaners into the flower stems to make them stiffer and flexible.
And last but not least, the "toy" side:


Yes, the "big boy toys" is what I meant.  My little guy loves to go four wheeling, so I made a side with a four wheeler just for him.  I added a toolbox so he could fix the thing if it broke down.  I used a grommet on the tape measure to give it a more realistic look.  I attached it using my Big Bite Cropadile (by We R Memory Keepers - I love that tool! And no, they aren't paying me to say anything).

I am linking up to these parties: Inspired By You Wednesdays,

7 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG Cliff would LOVE this! Pack it up and ship it to my house! mmmk?!? This is sooooo stinkin cute!

Moois van mie said...

WAW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perry said...

Steph you are so amazing and creative! i wish i was as talented as you! your family is so lucky to have you

Unknown said...

Adorable! I love it :]

I am a new follower and I would love if you came and followed me back at A Sew Chic Boutique!

Brielle said...

Whoa! My jaw was dropped to the floor the entire time! You are truly amazing! So so cute and creative!

idesign said...

wow! this is incredible!

Pamela said...

OMG what an adorable playhouse!! You are super talented!

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis