Monday, October 3, 2011

Rue 21 Knock-Off Necklace

I went to Rue 21 a couple weeks ago and saw this super cute ruffle necklace.  I fell in love with it.  The price wasn't bad, but when I can make something for significantly less, I do.  Besides, it was fun to try something new!

 Here is the original.  I just love the ruffles.  I usually don't wear gold jewelry though, so I came up with this:

 I used brown ribbon, tulle, needle, thread, bead chain, scrapbook metal flower, pearls, felt (for backing) and hot glue.

To make it, I pleated the ribbon, ruffled up the tulle, and sewed/glued on the pearls and the flower.  Then to create the shape, I glued it to felt and trimmed around it.  Next, I glued on the chain. 
(The flower was originally gold so I spray painted it white and hot glued a pearl to the center.)

Linking up here and here.

19 comments:

Catherine said...

SO cute! I like your version better than the original, too. Well done!

Kristina said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Wear it proudly!

allenaim photography and design said...

Very cute! It is always more fun to wear a piece you crafted with your own hands!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

These are so pretty--give me good ideas of what to do with some of my Grandma's old jewelry!

shopannies said...

great job love it when we can make awesome knock offs
shopannies@Yahoo.com

Q @ JAQS said...

I think I like your version even more :)

I would love for you to link up your creation at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/10/jaqs-studio-first-ever-linky-party.html

ladywiththeredrocker said...

This is really cute! Love how it turned out! You did a good job!
Stephanie @ Ladywiththeredrocker.wordpress.com

Marie said...

Steph! That is so cute! I think I need one! :)

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

Cute! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

Melanie
bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

Abby said...

Love this! Very cute and practical. I love your blog!

Your newest follower,
Abby
i---create
(come take a look if you like)

OksanaB said...

So creative! Even better than the original.
I am new to your blog. Looking forward to your future posts.
Also love to make jewelry.

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Beautiful! I love this necklace! Feel free to link this up to DIY Diva Thursdays too ;)


Kara
www.mineforthemaking.com

Michelle said...

I am not a big gold fan either. Reminds me of Mr. T. Thanks for linking up with DIY under $5!

Lindsay said...

I think your version is awesome! I am so impressed! Thanks for linking up @ Show & Share! You are always so great to support it!

Leslie said...

Your version is so much cuter!

Just Jaime said...

Looks awesome!

I stumbled this!

lovecrafts said...

So cute jewelry! i love it, thanks for sharing.

Sandy Ang said...

It's lovely ! I like it more than the original necklace

Chris said...

Hi Stephanie, you did such a great job. Congratulations. I think yours is just as good as the "bought" one. I recently found your blog and am now following. Please pop on over and visit my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. I would really like that. Hugs, Chris

You May Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis